If only the walls could talk! The stories they would have to tell of the long history of the pub in the heart of Carlisle.
We’ve been told, The Carlisle Hotel & Distillery, formerly known as The Carlisle Hotel was opened in 1940. It included a hotel lounge which was part of a new trend to attract women into hotels. It is believed to be one of the first pubs to permit entry to women in Western Australia. This was an evolutionary step forward for women and the hotel industry.
From what we’ve researched, in 1942 the licensee of The Carlisle Hotel was a man by the name of Flohm. When he volunteered for war service, his wife, Mrs Dot Flohm took over the business. She ran The Carlisle Hotel for 34 years. She described the hotel in 1941 as being surrounded by bush with only a basic plank road to Welshpool Road (until the Munitions factory was built in Welshpool). Guests in the hotel included women and children who had been evacuated from Singapore due to the Japanese occupation. Mrs D Flohm retired from The Carlisle Hotel in 1974.